The Shoe: Redefining Shoemaking and History in Beverly
In the development of shoe manufacturing Beverly played the vital role of industrial leader with the efforts of one business, the United Shoe Machine Company. This exhibition details how the USMC revolutionized shoe equipment manufacturing and the shoe industry while becoming a way of life to thousands of Beverly area residents and many multi-generational families. From the announcement of its arrival in Beverly to the demolition of its final building, this exhibit explores the history of the USMC while presenting the daily life of the USMC workers.
Emerging from Salem's Shadow
After the tumultuous years of the second half of the 17th century, filled as they were with political upheaval, Indian wars, and culminating in the witchcraft crises of 1692, the new century must have seemed to local residents like entering a calm port.Although religion remained an important aspect of colonial life, the power of the church in civic life was on the wane. Beverly’s economy remained focused on maritime trades and agriculture, but new trades emerged during the period. Clockmakers, cabinet makers, silversmiths and other artisans created objects for an emerging well-to-do class. A spirit of change and possibility emerged in the 18th century, with profound consequences for our local community and America.
From Revolution to Republic
The tumultuous 40 years between 1775 and 1815 included years of war, epidemics, sacrifice and suffering. But they also saw the excitement of the birth of the new nation, with new opportunities both in politics and business.
Beverly Bank: An Early American Bank, Est. 1802
Displaying original documents and artifacts, this exhibit uses the history of the bank, which began at the Cabot House, to explore the role of banks in the development of a strong financial system in the United States. The Cabots and their business associates used profits from their highly successful, global trading enterprise to invest in the building of key infrastructure, such as the bridge to Salem, in Beverly and throughout Massachusetts. Original records and physical evidence such as paint still extant in the room evoke an early nineteenth-century American bank.